Friday, December 30, 2005

Breakdown

The orientation programme for RJC is up, and I think it looks pretty trashy to me. I'm guessing that most of you would have seen it by now, and would have tried to imagine what it would be like in the future (ie at orientation). Do enlighten me, for I can hardly see any light. It is all unintelligible rubbish to me, perhaps because of my illogical ways of approaching things.

Starting time?
Anyway, their intended programme in itself is already faulty. If you'll notice carefully, the first box in the first row reads "starting time", which sounds logical enough to me. But then again if you'll look down the column, they give stuff like "0730-0800", "0830-0900", etc. Does that sound very starting time-ish to you? No, that is not a starting time, that is a DURATION. Chandy would smack their arses for making such a silly mistake - but the thing about JCs is that there are girls running the programme, and Chandy doesn't fancy a spell in jail, so nothing of that sort is (unfortunately) going to happen.

3..4..7..8
Another glaring mistake. I saw it the moment I opened the file. Tuesday is the 3rd, Wednesday is the 4th, Thursday is the 7th and Friday is the 8th. Hmm are we going to be time travellers or something, or is it just a typo error? I believe it's the former, since the theme is supposed to be along the lines of Greek gods. I think they existed way back in time, so perhaps this lull in the time is meant to simulate some experience. Gonna be quite fun, I haven't skipped time before.

Assembly
I didn't know we took half an hour to assemble and stuff, but anyway they could merge it all to one cell and just put one "Assembly" in the middle. That would kind of save them a lot of effort instead of typing it out individually. Guess the person who came up with this programme sheet is a MS Word n00b. I could do better, though arguably by not much.

Registration (Day 1)
Excuse me, what the hell? I thought we registered for RJC the moment we signed some form in Sec 2 stating that we were willing to undertake RP? I don't see how are they going to do it in thirty minutes anyway - considering there are over a thousand people waiting to register. After seeing RI's administration, I feel like I don't have much confidence in RJC's. Though of course it remains to be seen.

Intro to the school (Day 1)
One and a half hour. I'm starting to doubt that "intro" means "introduction", it could mean another word that starts with the same letters. My vocabulary, however, is very limited, so I'm not going to take a shot at this.

Staggered lunch (Day 1)
You stagger to your lunch, and therefore they give you two and a half hours to do the staggering. By the way, do you know of anyone who eats their lunch at ten o' clock? A little early, no? But it's okay, since this will probably give me a stomachache or gastric that will enable me to make frequent trips to the toilet, which means I get to pon something stupid.

Activities (Day 1)
................. aren't everything inside here "activities"?

Station Games (Day 1)
Sure, we'll all pop over to Bishan MRT station, and then we'll have a game or two there. I don't mind, it sounds kind of intriguing.

Debrief (Day 1)
This is simple enough to understand, and for once I have no complaints.

End (Day 1)
Surely they don't need half an hour to end?!

Activities/Bonding activities (Day 2)
It's stated that this is what we'll do in the morning of Day 2. What are the differences between the two anyway? So in doing "activities" we don't get bonded? Or does "bonding activities" mean like, we get to go to Chemistry Lab to go figure out ionic bonds, covalent bonds, whatever? If you'd like to see my point just see what we're doing on Wednesday, DURING the STARTING TIME of 8am to 11am.

Staggered lunch (Day 2)
Stagger some more - 2.5 hours lunch.

House time (Day 2)
Is it time to go back to my house to have an afternoon siesta? Agreeable.

Debrief (Day 2)
I still think the author of the document could link up the "debriefs" together into one cell, it's just somehow aesthetically more pleasing to the eye. Maybe it's just me.

Learning the school song (Day 3)
When Stamford Raffles held the torch,
That cast Prometheum Flame.
We faced the challenge of the day,
To give our school a name.

Need I say more?

Civics time (Day 3)
Eh, so now it's time to instil some moral values into us or something? I mean, they could really do that on the first day, character development is really important. Glad to see CLE being incorporated into orientation, but it's just lame they had to wait so long to start that.

External activity (Day 3)
If it was really going to be external, it would not even be in the orientation programme sheet. I'm guessing that this means we go treasure hunting or slacking outside. Maybe go to J8 and have a staring match with the Bishan Gay. Maybe we'll all go watch a movie or something. Damn it, they had better not because I'm a no life and no lifes don't watch movies. Plus, I have no money so they can't force me to. This orientation is going to be really lousy if they're going to host external activities that cost money, and I'm going to cry if it's true.

Bonding activities (Day 4)
More time at the Chemistry lab, but what the hell, certainly not for three and a half hours? I never had two consecutive periods of Chemistry at RI, though I certainly had two-hour remedials. I think 3.5 hours is too much to bear, I'd go crazy after this long break of not touching Chemistry. If we must do Bonding activities, then it had better be more action, like James Bond. Then maybe there's a thought.

O Nite Prep (Day 4)
So we skip O levels, but we go to O nite? Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

O Nite! (Night 4)
O good nite! It's there in the programme - the exclamation mark behind the "O nite"! I don't know what this excitement is really all about, but I'm concerned about it being on a Friday night. Would you like to know how I spend a usual Friday night in RI? I'd have a nice time bringing my Pokémon around to see the world, as well as the insides of various gyms. I certainly don't occupy myself with such meaningless occupations, and these two words mean nothing to me. If the OGLs don't mind (and I'm sure they won't), I'll just have a leisurely walk back home at night. Either that, or I'll return to Sarimbun for the scary night walk in the dark like I did in Sec 1. Or go back to Pulau Ubin for some action at OBS with my stupid old guides, namely Konnel and Ken. Somehow the night might seem more meaningful that way. We'll see how things go.

I'm not here to discredit everything that the OGLs have set up for us - in fact, I am very thankful that they had made the effort to organise such a whole load of stuff for us. Only thing is that I need to be enlightened on what is really going on. An inquiring mind is good, is it not? So I would like to pose these questions to whoever can answer them out there. I'd really like to learn the truth, so I can prepare myself better for orientation. If you find any part of this offensive, then just blame it on the lousy programme sheet. It's really not the best I've seen, and it's not my fault that this is so.

No comments:

Crash your Firefox

Click to hang your Firefox

Blog Archive

Search This Blog