Saturday, May 16, 2020

Twitter Review

Since we've been doing all these reviews, let's review Twitter the social media platform.

Virtually none of my friends use Twitter, and I set up an account cos I thought, hey, gotta make new friends. Maybe I'll find people with similar interests, since you can follow all these different people.

I ended up following people in cryptotwitter, people who seem to know whether bitcoin was gonna go up or down. Sounds ridiculous looking back. Followed a couple who posted about stocks and wealth. Followed a great analyst of geopolitical affairs.

And then I gave up after 6 months. It was taking over my life. Whereas I would spend my pre-covid time stoning and staring into space on the train, now I was scrolling my twitter feed any time I was 'free', like when I'm taking a dump. I was getting anxiety trying to keep up with all the information on the feed.

So I deleted it. And it was perfectly fine. I don't miss it at all. I had some good discoveries. I subscribed to the email newsletter of the geopolitical analyst, and occasionally go to the blog of a crypto dude who really knows his stuff. In the end, there were too many people trying to sound important on twitter. Blowing their own trumpets. outdoing each other with the best analysis, the best predictions etc.

The problem is that the intellectual masturbation doesn't do jack for me. It was time to go.

Though who knows, might be back someday.

No comments:

Crash your Firefox

Click to hang your Firefox

Search This Blog